As the year comes to an end, it’s not uncommon to put your goals on hold, spend a little more money and eat less healthy food all in the name of “I’ll start fresh on January 1.” We know, because we’re speaking from experience! Although the holidays are a time to enjoy yourself and relax, you’re more likely to flake or put off goals when you try to make a drastic change to your life as the clock hits midnight on New Year’s Day.
This year figure out your resolutions a bit earlier to make sure you have a plan set in place for change and one that you can stick to. We’ve compiled some steps to make that process a bit easier!
1. Plan for success. Don’t just think about your resolutions – write them down! Similar to journaling, writing your goals will make them become “concrete” and will help you visualize what you actually want to change. Once you’ve written them down, map out a plan to reach your goals throughout the next 365 days. Make a list of steps to complete, set reminders in your phone or download a planning app so you can make your resolutions a reality.
2. Don’t think “big picture.” Setting big goals can quickly feel overwhelming when it comes to maintaining them. Instead, break down your large goals into smaller goals so they are more manageable in the long run. Make sure they’re specific, too! Whether it’s going for a run two or three days a week or organizing one room in your house per week, it’s easier to achieve your goals when you have set steps and a schedule ahead of you to follow.
3. Do your research. Once you’ve set and mapped out your goals for the new year, take some time to do your research. Look up foods, recipes, kitchen appliances, different fitness options and more. The new year is a time when many brands promote their products, so make sure you know the right ones that will work for you in order to reach your personal goals.
4. Purchase your tools. Don’t wait until January – not only will you put off your goals longer by waiting on them to arrive, you’ll be more likely to get rid of them all together! Now is the time to purchase anything you need in order to follow through and reach your goals. If your goal is to walk every morning, go buy your new sneakers. If your goal is to drink more water, purchase a water bottle to track your intake. Buying everything you need before the new year will help you not put off your goals and motivate you when you feel like giving up.
5. Hold yourself accountable. Set yourself up for success by making sure you’re holding yourself accountable! You can set simple consequences for yourself, like having to rake the leaves outside if you spent too much money on a new (not needed) purse. Or bring along a friend for the ride and work together to reach your goals. Having a buddy gives you a way to hold each other accountable while also working towards something together!
We hope this inspires you to jump start and plan ahead for your resolutions in the new year. Let us know if you have any tips you use to make sure New Year’s resolutions hold up throughout the year!