Charlottesville, Virginia, a town that welcomes visitors, locals and resident hopefuls with open arms. If you’re new to the area or considering relocating your family, it’s important to learn about the best kid-friendly spots that will ease your transition and support a positive move. With a rich history, plenty of outdoor activity options and a bustling arts and culture scene, Charlottesville has something to offer families with children of all ages. Let’s explore five of the top spots that are all about family fun.
1. Carter Mountain Orchard: This family-owned farm is the perfect outdoor stop for the entire family. With great learning opportunities about agriculture, little minds can soak up the exciting information while enjoying a day picking fresh fruit in the beautiful outdoors. From crisp apples to mouth watering strawberries, the farm even has a fruit availability calendar so your family can plan a visit accordingly. Not to worry, if you want to plan a trip to Carter Mountain Orchard when it’s not fruit-picking season, your kids can enjoy a tasty treat from the Country Store and play on the lush grounds.
2. Rivanna River Company: Nothing beats a refreshing family fun day on the river. The Rivanna River Company allows you to make memories on the water by renting boating equipment or enjoying a guided tour of the pristine natural surroundings. Connect with the water and experience the thrill of paddling through rapids and rocky scenery that will have your kids talking about this once-in-a-lifetime adventure for years to come!
3. Monticello: Take a walk through history for an educational and exciting journey with children of all ages. Thomas Jefferson’s historic home, Monticello, is a gorgeous 5,000-acre estate that draws in locals and visitors alike. Skip the history book lesson and immerse your kids in a unique experience of how the nation’s third president lived so many years ago. There are even summer day camps for third through seventh graders.
4. Virginia Discovery Museum: Dating back to 1981, the Virginia Discovery Museum is a city staple with hands-on educational displays and exhibits to spark your kids’ curiosity. The interactive exhibits are ideal for stimulating imaginations. From whipping up imaginary baked goods in the Little C’ville’s pint-sized Bakery and Café to tending to the crops in the field and delivering them to the Farm Stand and Bakery & Café, there is adventure around every corner.
5. The Looking Glass: Boasting the title of Virginia’s first immersive art experience, The Looking Glass is a true trip into your little one’s wildest imagination. The adventure starts from the beginning as guests enter the building through what appears to be a janitor’s closet that opens to an otherworldly enchanted forest. This space is sure to spark inspiration and creativity for your kids while providing a fun outing for the family.
From the natural beauty and outdoor adventures to magical art exhibits that will have kids’ imaginations bursting with ideas, Charlottesville, Virginia is an ideal destination for the entire family. At Stanley Martin Homes, we understand the value of finding the right location and home to match your family’s needs and desires, which is why our homes are in locations that offer a variety of spots that are sure to please both parents and little ones.