The summer months earn Atlanta it’s “Hot-lanta” nickname! Beat the heat by taking the time to enjoy all the Atlanta metro area has to offer during the winter. Whether you want to be a tourist in your own hometown or check out some seasonal favorites, here are a few recommendations to explore:
- Visit Georgia Aquarium. Winter is a great time to visit the largest aquarium in the world, featuring fascinating exhibits and daily interactive shows! Did you know that our aquarium houses more than 100,000 sea creatures and recently announced it’s expecting a baby beluga whale? Sign up for the “Yoga by the Water” class Tuesday, Feb. 18 featuring a magnificent Ocean Ballroom view!
- Cozy up at a coffee shop. Come in from the cold and catch up with a friend or read a good book at a local coffee or tea house. Try a “White Peanut Latte” from Marietta Coffee Company in Marietta, Ethiopia Bensa Segera roasted beans by Valor Coffee Shop in Alpharetta or a Swiss Apple herbal tea at Laurel and May Market in Milton.
- Run a local race. Two popular upcoming races are the 2020 Publix Atlanta Race Sunday, March 1 and the Sunrise Marathon in Atlanta Saturday, March 7 with distances from 5K up to a full marathon.
- Go ice skating outdoors. Get in the winter spirit by taking some spins around an outdoor ice skating rink! From now through the end of February, locals can enjoy seasonal rinks at Atlantic Station, Park Tavern and Sugar Hill Nash Farms Park.
- Celebrate Black History Month. This February, celebrate Black History Month in a city that has been pivotal to it. Learn and explore at the National Historical Park dedicated to Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Walk of Fame at the King Center.
- Take your kids to the Children’s Museum of Atlanta. For more than 30 years, the newly-renovated Children’s Museum of Atlanta has provided interactive programs, events and a safe place for children to play, learn and grow!
- Go tubing at Snow Mountain. Enjoy a family-friendly winter wonderland at Snow Mountain at Stone Mountain Park, just a 30-minute drive from Atlanta. Complete with a 400-foot snow-covered tubing hill, race your friends or enjoy a large snowy play area.
- Enjoy new restaurants during Alpharetta Restaurant Week. From Feb. 22-29, the best restaurants in Alpharetta invite you to dine out and enjoy a three-course dinner menu for a deal during Alpharetta Restaurant Week. Local participating favorites are Village Tavern, Alpine Bakery & Trattoria and Citizen Soul.
With so many local gems it’s no wonder almost six million people love calling the greater Atlanta metro home! Find your new Atlanta-area home in a Stanley Martin Homes neighborhood in Cobb, Fulton, Cherokee, Gwinnett or Forsyth counties today.
Guest Room in Atlanta, GA