Saving energy also helps you save money. “Living green” doesn’t have to be a big to-do - here are some easy energy saving tips that are good for your wallet and the environment:
- Practice the Three Rs: This may be something you learned in elementary school, but it’s still one of the best places to start. By simply reducing what you consume and purchase, reusing things that you already have and recycling whatever you can, you can contribute to minimizing waste.
- Prioritize Energy Efficient Appliances: You can help make an impact simply by looking for energy efficiency in everyday home features and appliances – like choosing low-flow faucets and showers. The Energy Star certified appliances that Stanley Martin Homes installs in our new homes help reduce energy consumption. Energy efficient appliances can also benefit your pocket by lowering utility bills and offering tax credits and exemptions in some cases.
- Flip the Switch: Turning off unnecessary lights is a simple way to choose green living and save money. Whether it's turning the overhead light off when you leave a room or only turning on a small lamp when you enter, those little changes really add up. In the daytime, try opening the curtains instead – sunlight warms and brightens a room.
- Seal it Shut: The tiny gaps that develop around doors and windows can waste energy and add up to higher air conditioning and heating bills. All Stanley Martin homes are built incorporating an Air Seal package, which acts as both an insulation and air barrier, closing all gaps where air could escape. Wear and tear is normal, so if you’ve noticed spots where light is coming through your window or door seals, get weather stripping kits or caulk at the local hardware store for a quick fix.
- Test Your Green Thumb: Preserving and growing shrubs and flowers around your home is a great way to show your commitment to the environment. Add to your existing landscape by planting trees, shrubs, flowers, and greenery that compliments your home and encourages bees, butterflies, and birds to call your yard home too. In addition, look within your neighborhood for green spaces to help enhance or just spend more time in. At Stanley Martin Homes, we’re proud to provide communal green space in most of our neighborhoods.
Looking for more insight into how your home can be more environmentally friendly? Learn about the green features and benefits of Stanley Martin Homes here.
Guest Room in New Homes for Sale in Atlanta