Around 112 million travelers are planning to hit the road during the holiday season. With new technology released every day, security system upgrades galore and smart homes becoming the new norm, it’s tough to truly find the best ways to keep your home and your family safe and secure. Here are our top 5 tips to keep your home safe throughout the holidays and year-round:
- Keep your home well-lit. Criminals don’t want to be in the spotlight, so lighting your home is a great way to keep them away. On the outside of your home, consider motion-activated lights to illuminate the yard, with bright lights by both the front and back door. If you’re going out of town, leave a light on inside your house to create the illusion someone is home.
- Protect your Wi-Fi network. Make sure you aren’t unnecessarily sharing personal or financial information through an unprotected Wi-Fi network. When setting up your router, protect it with a strong password or encryption. Staying up to date on anti-virus and malware protection software can also help protect your information by repairing any security flaws.
- Pause mail and deliveries. Online shopping is one of the best modern luxuries, but a pile of packages by your door can make you an obvious target for break-ins. When you are going out of town, consider pausing your mail and deliveries. Another option is having mail or packages sent to your office or travel destination to ensure that your doorstep stays clear.
- Consider smart features. Every Stanley Martin home is digital-ready with options for wireless, phone-controlled features. We design the infrastructure of our homes to allow you to easily be able to view security cameras or lock the doors anytime, anywhere. With an estimated 30% of burglaries happening because of unlocked doors, these smart tools can help give peace of mind when you’re not home to double-check the lock.
- Meet the neighbors. Stop by your neighbor’s house this holiday season with some cookies or a bottle of wine and get to know them. Having someone nearby that knows you and can keep an eye on your house helps keep you more secure, and it’s a great way to make connections and feel part of the bigger community!
Morning Room in Maryland