You’re staying inside more – why not take some time to make your home the best it can be? In between Netflix binges and puzzles, you can start (and finish, if you’re not too distracted) a bunch of home projects that you’ve most likely been putting off for a while. We’ve compiled a list of six DIY projects that won’t take too long and can really make a difference in your home.
- Make an impression. The first thing people see when they pass by is your front lawn – would you turn twice if you saw yours? Give your neighbors something vibrant to look at by jazzing up your lawn with bright flowers and fun plants. Start with a freshly-mowed grass and then add flowers to the border of your home. If you have a porch, you can also hang flowers or fresh herbs in planters over your railing.
- Hang memories! All those photos from family vacations and birthdays need to be rescued out of your drawer! Fill the blank space on your living room wall with a fun gallery wall. Using a string to help you measure and keep rows aligned, you can display all your memories in an Instagram-worthy way. Pro tip: for any nail holes you leave, you can fill them with a little white toothpaste to cover.
- Spruce up the kitchen. Let’s be real: besides your bed and the couch, the majority of your time recently has probably been spent in the kitchen. Show it some love with some easy touch ups, like updating your storage system and organizing your pantry. Get rid of old containers and instead pick up glass or clear plastic jars to make it easy to find your dry goods, as well as keep them fresh longer. You can also purchase drawer organizers for any junk drawers that have seen better days.
- Bring the spa to you. The spa may be closed for right now, but you can still bring the extravagant experience home by fixing up your bathroom. Starting in the shower, switch out your old shower head for a new one with a rain feature – you can install it yourself and use it the same day. Purchase some eucalyptus sprigs as well to tie to your shower head. The steam from the shower will bring out the essential oils from the sprigs, and you’ll quickly forget that you only have 15 minutes left before the kids wake up.
- Get your deck ready for summer nights. Think ahead to the outdoor summer fun and jazz up your deck. Make it the perfect after hours hangout spot by hanging string lights (they even have ones that look like stars) all around for ambiance. Add a patterned rug and some comfy chairs to make your outdoor space even more inviting and cozy.
- Stop buying new chairs – upgrade your own. You’d be surprised at how easy it is to reupholster a chair! You can quickly change up your furniture without having to buy new with the help of some fabric and a staple gun. You can even use scrap fabric you have lying around from old projects to make your chair match something new around the house!
We hope these six projects not only give you something to do other than baking banana bread, but also help keep your Stanley Martin home in tip-top shape. Connect with us on Facebook to let us know what home projects you’re starting!
Welcome Home in Coastal Carolinas