With 2020 in the rearview mirror and a new start here, it’s time to make the most of a clean slate. As increased time at home doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon, one of the best places you can freshen up to kick off the year is your home. With a couple small steps, you can refresh your home and potentially, even your luck in the new year!
1. Use some elbow grease and clean. This isn’t going to be your ordinary house cleaning – to really give your home a fresh start, you’ll have to bring out the heavy hitters like bleach, grout scrubbers or even a power washer. This should be the first step to take if you’re thinking of rearranging your home! Start at the upper level and work your way down, making sure not to miss closets, drawers, ceiling fans and even light bulbs. A solid cleaning job will provide the perfect base for a new year.
2. Declutter, declutter, declutter! Now that you’ve cleaned, you’ve probably come upon clothes or items that you forgot you had or things that you don’t need anymore. Let go of these items and give yourself (and your home) more space! Go through children’s toys, use the random items found in your pantry in a recipe or donate old sweaters that you won’t wear anymore. One spot that most likely hasn’t been decluttered in a while and can help you feel more organized? Your sock drawer!
3. Shop new year sales. We’re not saying to go online and purchase a whole new wardrobe or kitchen appliance set, but there are items in your home that may be way past their expiration date and can be making your home feel stale. Think about things that are used daily, like bedding, rugs and upholstered chairs. Especially for rugs and bedding as these items soak up scents and fade over time, making it hard to look its best. Plenty of retailers are still hosting new year sales, which makes it a great time to potentially replace old furniture.
4. Rearrange what you have. If you’re not ready to part with beloved furniture or accessories, make rooms look like new by switching around the set up. This can be as big or small as you’d like – move the living room couch downstairs to the finished basement or simply put an end table on the other side of the accent chair. Not sure where to start? There are plenty of tips on how to rearrange your home to make it look bigger, brighter or whatever you’re trying to accomplish.
5. Add some greenery. One of the best ways to brighten up a home is to add more greenery and plants throughout. Not only will they add some color to your living room or bedroom, they’ll actually help with decreasing stress, reducing symptoms of depression, increasing levels of creativity and more!
We hope you love these tips and use them to make the most out of the new year and get you and your family off on the right foot. Cheers to 2021 and a fresh home!
Welcome Home in Columbia